Friday 16 September 2016

KBPS Interview: Polica

Channy Leaneagh is one of five members of Minneapolis-based band ‘Polica’ and we spoke to her ahead of her performing in Leeds next month on the first date of the UK leg of their tour. Currently working on rehearsals they will also soon be heading over to Berlin for a date.

Channy describes the band’s live sound as ‘more alive than their record’. “It usually has lots of energy. My doctor told me the other day that I’m an athletic performer so there’s a clue!”



Polica have come fresh from festivals such as Latitude this summer, a festival Channy describes as one of her favourites. “It was one of our first [too] so it was nice to go back. We [also] played at a beautiful castle in Ireland, which was really cool. [Plus] we went to Slovakia for the first time too!”

Earlier in the year the band released their album ‘United Crushes’ and we asked her how it was to record it. “It was pretty good! I was pregnant and gave birth a couple of months before the record came out, so it was a whirlwind for me. I had just come out of the fog of motherhood, and I said that I couldn’t believe we’d made a record in the middle of that. Now it’s good to get back on the road again and I feel like I’ve got my head in the game. It was fun!”

We asked if motherhood influenced anything on the album. “It’s an emotional record and I was feeling things really strongly. There are some love songs like ‘Lately’ and there are lots of feelings on there, but that’s how most of my records are.”

The album shifted slightly from previous albums in style. “It’s a very rhythm heavy record,” Channy told us. “The drummers locked me and Ryan up in the sound booth and took over!” she joked.

In Polica there are two drummers and we were intrigued as to what effect this might have on the music. “For me it has a dramatic effect. I’ll write the song in one way then when the drummers lay down their parts I’ll react to them. When you have two drummers it’s impossible to not have that being a main influence on the sound of the band.



“But at the same time they’ve actually played more electronic drums than they ever had, so we’ve all played around with that. It has an effect on the cadence of the singing, the rhythm of the band.”

Channy picked ‘Fish’ as her favourite track on the recent album. “It’s the most sincere. But ‘Berlin’ is kind of my baby, and my favourite one to play live.”

Earlier in the month Channy took part in a procession towards the local Mississippi river and played a concert on a houseboat on the river, the environmental cause close to the home for Channy. “We played on the Mississippi river at night whilst lights and visuals were projected onto this factory in North Minneapolis which is emitting lots of heavy metals into the river.

“It was pretty special to be able to be gathered with all these people and play the music and sing out to the river. It is a gorgeous river which hopefully will continue to be cleaned up.”


Looking ahead to the future, I asked what her plans were. “We’re performing and recording with a group called Stargaze from Berlin. We’ve created a project with them called ‘Music for the Long Emergency’ and then we’ll be recording a couple of new Polica songs and recording some tracks here and there throughout the winter.”


No comments:

Post a Comment