Wednesday 26 October 2016

KBPS Interview - Luke Carey

Luke Carey is an acoustic singer-songwriter from North London who mixes up the sound of Ed Sheeran with elements cherry-picked from rap and RnB, all delivered with a firm tongue-in-cheek and witty style. We caught up with Luke ahead of a live set at the inaugural Sofar Sounds event in Bradford to chat to him about his music, touring and why he has to like Star Wars.

You have a new EP out on the 25th November called ‘Stencils’. How would you describe it?
It’s a mish-mash of all the different things I’m listening to at the moment, which is very varied, from hip-hop to singer-songwriter stuff. It’s very lyrics driven and I love messing about with words and having lyrics with a meaning.

Was it fun to record?
Absolutely! It took ages. I wrote 40-odd songs for it and each time I went back into the studio I was like ‘I want that one in’ and then ‘No, I want that one in’. In the end it was a load of fun.

Do you think any of those other songs with surface on another release?
Yeah. I think the reason that two of them didn’t get on was just my mood on the day!

Would you say your sound has changed since your first EP release?
I think it’s changed. It has developed and grown. I think that’s the idea for me. With each EP I release will show some development, and improvement, and change and this one does differ in that way.

You’ve released EPs called ‘Sketches’ and ‘Stencils’. Is there an art theme going on?
I think it’s more the theme about when you do EPs; it’s not necessarily like the finished album sort of stage, so the idea of sketches are the rough sketches at the start of something and the stencils are more defined and a bit more towards the completed project. The theme is less arty and more of the stages of development.

You have a big presence on social media. At the end of September you posted how you were recording a video. How is that shaping up?
It’s not yet [been released]. We’re saving it for when the EP comes out. It’s still under wraps. It’s a very upbeat tune, so it’ll be one of those type of videos.

How is your tour going?
It’s absolutely amazing. I just did Manchester last night and am now in Bradford. I’m loving it!

It’s revealed on your website that you were named after Luke Skywalker…
Yeah, my brother named me. I was born on May 4th. To be fair to him, he couldn’t miss up on that opportunity, with the whole ‘May the 4th be with you’ stuff!

Are you a big Star Wars fan?
I kind of have to be by default. I do like them and I have watched them all but I’m not massively into it.

Finally, what are your ambitions for the next year?
I’d love to play at Glastonbury next year, even if it was just a small stage in the early morning, just to go. I’ve said to myself that I don’t really want to go unless I’m playing it. That would be amazing if I could get onto that!


For more information on Luke visit http://www.lukecareymusic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment