Sunday 10 September 2017

KBPS Interview: Emilia J

Emilia J has been compared to the likes of Zara Larsson and Hailee Steinfeld, of whom she idolises. Being content on keeping her sound original, Emilia demonstrates powerful vocals, smooth lyrics and hints of rap simultaneously in her new single ‘Radar’. Striving for the perfect R&B sound, here we get to see Emilia exploring with different combinations in creating the perfect catchy tune, revealing a story of both independence and infatuation.

We got the chance to speak to Emilia about her new single and began by asking her to describe the track.
‘Radar’ is a song all about energy. When I wrote the song I had a lot going on in my head, but I think it comes together nicely. It’s all about feeling confident [and] finding yourself. Without sounding too cheesy it’s about having a dream and wanting to share it with everybody and then it’s a little about the balance between infatuation and independent, something I’ve struggled with before. And to be honest I threw it all together and it kind of works, so I’m happy!



Did bringing that personal experience in make you happy with the final song?
Yeah I think so. I’m happy with it.

There’s a mix of styles in there; is that important to you to blend different things?
To be honest, if you listen to a lot of the music that I recorded last year, trying to find a sound takes a long time. But in the last year I’ve definitely found the sound that’s mine. Lots of people, when they hear the things I’ve written, say it all sounds different. I love a good ballad; I love a classic pop song, and a bit of rap and RnB. I felt with this song I could throw a different styles into it. I’m pleased with it and hope everyone likes it.

What was it like creating the music video?
I’ve done a video shoot before but this was really different. It felt like everything fitted together. We had lots of lights and stuff happening. It’s also quite dark as well; I like the contrast of it. We put a lot of our ideas together and it fits the song perfectly. The video is just one big party; it’s a lot of fun!

You’ve had a busy summer live; how did that go?
It’s been really good. We just wrapped up Cornwall Pride on the Bank Holiday weekend. It was the first time I’d sung ‘Radar’ live so it was interesting to see how people would react, but they loved it and it went down really well. I threw some other original material in as well and it went down well, so I was really pleased. Out of all my music, even though you shouldn’t have favourite children, ‘Radar’ is my favourite so I’m pleased it went down a treat!



How does the live version of ‘Radar’ compare to the single version?
We wanted to keep it upbeat with the energy so I did a lot of dancing around, and I wanted to portray the high energy in the live performance too.

Have you got EP or album plans?
I would love to; that would be the dream! At the moment, in the past year, it’s been trying to find the sound I’d like if I was to do an album or an EP. If this goes down well definitely in the future I’d like to explore more things, so that would be the perfect plan!

Finally what are your ambitions for the rest of the year?
To be honest I just want to keep making music. I want everybody to hear it. I want to make sure they can relate to it and jump on board. If I can just keep on doing what I’m doing that would be the best thing ever so that’s my dream: to be able to do this all the time forever!


No comments:

Post a Comment