Monday 3 July 2017

KBPS Interview: MissinCat

Calling out sometimes with the drama of a cinematic crescendo and sometimes with the intimacy of a lover’s whisper, Missincat performs balancing acts of beauty and bravery on a tighrope suspended between hope and despair.

With a voice at once sweet and harsh, fragile and strong, Missincat can move you to the heights and depths of feeling.

The emotional world created by her songs is filled with contradiction, and she explores these like a wire walker who is called to face the abyss and steps forward with courage and sure feet. We got a chance to catch up with her and began by asking her to describe her new single!



Your new single is called ‘Made of Stone’. How would you describe it?

It’s a very delicate song. I wrote it together with Robert Koch, a German producer. He’s done a lot of electronic music. We met up and we actually only had a piano, in a room, with no effects, nothing. So it happened to be very acoustic, soft and real. It’s just me telling this story and it’s very close, so it feels like I’m just whispering in someone’s ear.

Was that sound intentional?

I didn’t have any expectations actually. I was very happy to just meet up and see what happened. It’s always very excited. I’ve realised with collaborations, the best thing to do is just to have no expectations, because then everything is life a surprise!

Is ‘Made of Stone’ reflective of your overall sound?

I think it is something in between, because lately my music has been more produced [and] bigger, louder, but my first records were very quiet and acoustic, so I think ‘Made of Stone’ is like something from my previous sound, when I started doing records, but also from the current songs because of the finale when it gets big, and there’s lots of reverb.

What’s the reaction been like to the song?

It’s [been] nice as lots of people have really loved it. I think the way I sing is quite different and people have really loved it. They were like ‘wow, you keep getting better and better’. It was a nice change for them.

What was it like making the music video? Where did the inspiration come from?

I really don’t want to take the credit for that, as we had an amazing director that had the idea, and basically made everything. He sent me the idea and I was like ‘this is so beautiful’ with the aesthetic. I was performing so played a role in it but it was his idea, and his aesthetic, and he made it really good.

Do you enjoy this visual side of making music?

Yes, I did, it was real fun!



Do you have EP or album plans?

‘Made of Stone’ is part of an EP of five songs, with five different acts, or bands, mostly from Berlin. They are all very different. Some are slow and down tempo and others are up-tempo [with strong beats]. I’m always open to see what happens and these collaborations took me in different directions. It was very interesting for me [and] I also grew as an artist, through these collaborations.

You performed earlier in June at some live shows; how did they go?

Yes! Because I have a new set-up with a new band it’s all very exciting. It was also fun to arrange the song [in a different way] with different sounds and to find a thread, with a sound that would fit everyone, and we made it sound good, I hope!

How would you describe your live sound?

‘Made of Stone’ is absolutely identical, we just do it like that. It’s the lowest in terms of energy. It’s the [quietest] moment of the show. It’s very special as usually I present the song and I say what it’s all about, with the lyrics, so people feel very close and it’s like a very special moment. Everyone goes quiet and listens, and gets emotional. I love playing that. I’m always very nervous about it as it’s basically just my voice and my piano so I have to do it all right!

Do you have any plans to come over to the UK?

I’d really like to come over, maybe in the spring or the beginning of next year. Let’s see what happens, but it would be really great!

Finally what are your big ambitions for the rest of 2017?


I’m working on another project, on an album entirely in Italian, which is where I come from. This is very different and exciting, and also through this EP collaboration I got to know someone. I don’t want to say to much as it’s just an idea but we really want to continue writing together and there are lots of things coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment