Thursday 12 May 2016

KBPS Interview: Mavrick

Mavrick is an exciting new musician from Stockholm in Sweden and we spoke to him around the release of his new single ‘Funeral’ which he describes as a “chaotic, pop-song.”

“I think the melody is very poppy to me, and then I tried to mix it into a landscape of heavy bass and drums that are not as poppy.”




As well as making the music Mavrick also works on the production side of things, hoping to make something that has not been done before. “I like to mix different influences and not make it boring. I hate boring stuff!

“I want the listener to think it’s interesting and something new.”

Taking inspiration from gospel and one of his favourite bands ‘Rage Against the Machine’, Mavrick is also a big fan of Prince and he told me about his love of the artist in the interview, which was conducted before the sad death of the singer last month.

“I’m trying to stay away from Prince when it comes to making music as he’s a God and I’m not. I’m never going to be able to be as good.

“I listen to almost anything and mix in what feels good at that moment.”

Mavrick is currently working on his debut album, which is due to be released in August or September with one more single before then in May, and the process is going well and has almost been completed aside from a couple of finishing touches.

“I have to let go at some point. It’s never going to be 100% finished according to me but I have to release it so I have to let it go, but it’s 98% done.

“I’m eager to release it!”

Mavrick has also been gigging live recently including a performance in Oslo at a showcase-style festival called By:Larm. “That’s been one of my goals this year because it’s one of the festivals in the Nordic countries that I like the most. There were a lot of people there, more than I expected. It was really fun!”

Further live dates are planned for Mavrick in the summer.

Mavrick has also enjoyed success recently with Spotify highlighting him as an act as part of their ‘Spotlight’ pieces, and that service is something Mavrick enjoys when he’s not playing off vinyl, something he’s passionate about.

With Mavrick’s big ambition for the year to release his album things are looking great for the artist. “I’d also like to get on the road and win people over. At the moment I’ve only released two songs so it’s not that easy for people to see the whole picture of my sound, but I have big ambitions to take over the world!

“Maybe I have to be a little more patient for that, but my ambition is always high. When I’m making music I think it’s the best music in the world, Kanye West style, thinking I’m the best! I’m more low key though when I’m in the studio but I have high ambitions for everything!”

This interview will feature in KBPS #9 available Saturday 14th May.

No comments:

Post a Comment