Wednesday 18 May 2016

KBPS Interview: Paige Monroe

Paige Monroe is an exciting new pop singer hailing from Portsmouth who has released her debut EP which includes the single ‘Call It Love’, a track she describes as “really pumpy and energetic” with a Kelly Clarkson vibe.

“After we figured out a sound,” she said on the Clarkson comparison, “She was a good person to compare to.”

Putting the single together was a fun experience for Monroe. “I was in the studio for a couple of weeks and doing the EP at the same time. My producer Julian was lovely; he’s really talented and helped with the EP so much.”

Talking about the EP, Monroe selected the closing piano-based track ‘Don’t Break My Fall’ as her favourite on the release. “I like to think it will surprise people as it doesn’t sound like the other songs on the record. The other songs are quite pumpy, and that one’s quite slow.”

The music video for ‘Call It Love’ which is also out now, and you can see it below.



“Everyone on set was really lovely,” Monroe revealed to us. “It was really exciting at first but wasn’t nerve-wracking. It was really cool as it was my first music video. It was a little overwhelming at first but once I got into it it went really professionally.”

Paige Monroe has recently done some support sets for acts, and she has two distinct styles of sound, whether she’s going acoustic or not, with a balance between the big band sound “which gets everyone going” and the more intimate stripped back sessions.

“I’ve just done a gig with James TW, who’s a really good musician. His fans are amazing and they really loved my set. They’ve gone crazy all over my Twitter.”

Last year Paige Monroe did a series of acoustic videos called the Monroe Sessions and she’s expanded on that concept in 2016. “Right now I’m doing little ones in my bathroom just to give people the opportunity to hear my voice instead of music as well so they can get to hear my voice.

“In the near future we’re going to do a different type of session as well but I won’t tell you too much!”

We asked Paige how she picks the songs for covers, and she says it’s for either ones that are currently popular or ones her fans have requested.

Delving into her past, Paige has always had a passion for music since she was very young but has recently expanded into song-writing. “I was thrown into a writing session by my manager just to test me, and it turns out I can write songs and it just went from there.”

Since then Paige Monroe has been writing with a range of exciting writers, including James Birt, Jamie Sellers, Paul Burton and Sam McCarthy. “It’s great working with so many interesting people; if you work too much by yourself everything is just from one opinion or one sound, so when you work with other people it’s a good chance to merge the two brains and you can create a new flavour!”

Looking to the future, Paige has a few festivals lined up, with further writing sessions planned. “I like keeping a constant flow; always keeping myself busy and releasing new music for people, and just keep doing it!”

Ambitions for the year include playing more headline gigs and starting on a new record by the new year.

Finally, Paige Monroe is very active on social media, particularly recently when following Eurovision. “I love it! Every year me and my grandma sit down to watch it and commentate on it!



“I really wanted Australia to win as the singer and song were amazing,” she told us, responding to the controversy of their inclusion, “But my Eurovision fan side was angry because having Eurovision including Australia doesn’t work, which is a shame as they’re really good.”

Though a fan of the show, Paige was less keen about maybe singing in the competition in the future. “No, it’s not for me. I’m better at watching it!”

Find more about Paige on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment