Saturday 18 February 2017

KBPS Interview: Jazz Mino

Jazz Mino is a London based pop artist with a northern twist who has released some really incredible singles over the last few years including ‘Hurt’, ‘Suffocate’, ‘Superwoman’ and ‘Blue Eyes’, and she’s back with an exciting new song called ‘Footprints’, and we got the chance to speak to her about this record and what 2017 has in store.

You have a new single out called ‘Footprints’. How did that track come about?
When I wrote it I was playing around in the studio with my producer and he came up with this really cool sound. It just really took me back to summer time and hanging out with my friends, and flirting and sunbathing, and really enjoying the beach.



For those who have yet to hear your music, how would you describe your sound?
I’d describe it as electro-pop with a tropical house influence.

Is that the sort of music you like listening to, or just making?
I think I’ve been quite influenced by it at the moment. I’m really, really enjoying it. I’m absolutely loving Kygo and Sigala, so I think that has influenced my writing quite a lot.

You had several songs out in 2016. Would you say your sound has changed for your new single?
A little bit, yeah. I spent a lot of time doing festivals and gigs last year and spent the past few months just really working on my song writing, and writing lots, and experimenting, so I think it’s changed and developed a bit more and all I can say is that I’m really excited about ‘Footprints’ and the new sound as well!

You were also at a live date recently focussing on up-and-coming pop stars. What was that like to be part of?
It was great, really, really fun! I had an amazing time. The rest of the acts were great as well, and I’ve got a few bookings off the back of that too!



So what’s the plan for this year – is it performing live or writing?
It’s a bit of both really. I’m writing a lot at the moment and recording in the studio. I’m really focussing on the music but when it gets to the summer I’m going to be doing festivals, and supporting, so I’m really, really excited. I’m just in the middle of confirming everything at the moment so I’ll be back in the summer performing live.

When we spoke previously you talked about busking and sets around London cafes; is that something you still do?
Not at the moment, to be honest. I got lots of great opportunities towards the end of last year which has really just helped me be able to really focus on my song writing, and developing my writing and music, so I’m lucky that I get to do that. And I performed so much last year it’s really exciting to get to do something else for a little bit, but I’m really excited to getting back to singing and having a dance on stage this summer!

With you concentrating on writing and with quite a few singles under your belt, have you got any plans for an album?
I’m not sure to be honest, I’ll keep you posted! I’m doing a lot of writing and it might go into an album but I think I’m just going to see how the creativity flows and talk to my team about whether we want to release them as singles or as a big album. I’ve never done an album so it would be an exciting thing to do but we’ll see!

With the single launching what are your plans for the release?
It’s all over the internet now and I’m really excited about it. It’s been a long time coming!



And are there any video plans?
Not at the moment. It’ll be on YouTube so people can hear it but I’m just focussing on the musical aspect!

Finally, do you have any big ambitions for the rest of 2017?
One thing that’s not quite confirmed yet, but I think might happen, is doing Pride, which will be really amazing. That’s a big goal and will be an exciting experience for me this year. I’m also confirming some supports with some artists that I really love so I’m excited about that, and doing some collaborations. I think for me, that’s my main aim for this year: to really enjoy and love the music that I’m putting out for all of my fans to enjoy as well!


Find out more about Jazz Mino on her website at http://www.jazzmino.com/. You can hear this interview and her new single on BCB 106.6FM (bcbradio.co.uk) as part of our radio show on Saturday 25th February at 6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment