Tuesday 21 March 2017

KBPS Interview: Felin

You have a new single out called ‘Shackles’ – how would you describe it?
It was written and produced by myself and we released it on International Women’s Day because in this time, in the world today, I think it’s important to put a light on all the things that is going on with women’s rights and the song is about trying to break free of all the shackles and just do what you want to do, and not be afraid of what everyone else thinks, or this is how women are supposed to be, or supposed to act.


Did you write with International Women’s Day in mind or did that come after the song was written?
When I wrote the song I was in a dark place at the time and I went to a therapy session and they said that maybe I should do something else but music for a while and I went home, and for the first time in a long time I wrote a song which became ‘Shackles’. It’s about fighting battles that seem impossible to win and overcoming things and finding the strength to carry on. I’ve always wanted to release a song on International Women’s Day and this was the perfect song for it.

How would you describe the overall sound of Felin?
‘Shackles’ is a slower song as usually Felin is raw, loud, pop music with influences of rock and punk and I loved the rawiness and the edginess. But I started writing music just by playing music and singing so I had that inside me, so ‘Shackles’ is a purer song but it still has the feel that Felin music has.

You mentioned earlier about the production; is that a part of the musical process you enjoy?
I produce a lot of the music myself but I also enjoy working with others because I love to be able to share ideas with other people and get into all these different vibes. But I produced ‘Shackles’ by myself.

Do you have any live dates coming up?
We’re going to do some festivals here in Sweden in the summer and hopefully we’ll do something in the UK as well! We’re doing things in Sweden now but we’d really like to come over.

What are your big ambitions for 2017?
We’re in the studio now working on new music and the plan is to release that this year and play live more, and take on bigger and bigger stages and see the project involve.

What format will future music take?

The plan is to release an EP later in the year but for the moment it’s working on the singles.

Click here to find out more about Felin.

No comments:

Post a Comment