Friday 18 November 2016

KBPS Interview - The Permanent Smilers

Rising from the ashes of ‘The Lemongrowers’, the Permanent Smilers have released a new album called ‘One Real Big Identity Crisis’. We spoke to frontman Richard about the album ahead of its release.



How would you describe your debut album?
It’s a real mixture of songs and influences. You’ve got a little bit of jazz on there, a little bit of pop, indie, alternative, all sorts of things. It’s one identity crisis of an album!

What it was like recording it?
It was a lot of fun. There are just three of us essentially: a drummer, a bass player and I do a little bit of a lot of things. We also get in a trumpeter and I write the songs, and take them to these guys, and we work on them together, taking them to a little studio in South Norfolk and hopefully get a good result.

What’s it like working on such different instruments?
I enjoy doing it. I usually write on guitar and then the songs tend to develop a life of their own, as they’re in different genres and have different feelings to them. When I get into writing a song it becomes apparent where the song is going and as a band we can take it where it needs to be.

Do you have an instruments that you really like playing, or would like to play?
Something that I tried playing when I was at school was the tuba and that was a nightmare! Consequently I’ve only really managed to get a tune out of something with strings on it, piano and keyboards being the exception to that.

‘Identity Crisis’ is the lead single from the record. How would you describe it?
It’s probably the most punky song on the album. As I said there’s a little bit of all sorts of things going on, on the album, but ‘Identity Crisis’ has a little bit more attitude than most.

The album artwork has a circus themed; what was the reason behind that?
It’s to reflect the idea of [variety]; in a circus you have all the acts like a strongman and a clown. On the cover of the CD we have an elephant riding a unicycle, and it’s just to reflect the different sounds and the different things going on on the album.

Does your band name ‘The Permanent Smilers’ come from clowns then?
No, it was actually a song I wrote about twenty years ago when I was in a band called The Lemongrowers. After the song I had a long break from music but when I got back into it I thought – The Permanent Smilers – that will fit as a band name.




You’ve also worked on videos such as the distinctive animation of ‘Spider Song’. How did that come about?
They were done when I was living up in the North of England, in Rochdale. I was doing a little bit of music up there and I got to know a guy up there who lived in Hebden Bridge who was into graphics, video and animation. I was lucky enough to persuade him to do a couple of videos for us.

Do you also have any live plans for the music?
Not at the moment. I tend to not play live, least because a lot of the music on the album is very much layered up, with 20-30 tracks per song and plenty of percussion, with many several keyboards, guitars and trumpets. To do the songs justice I’d need to get 10 or 20 people on stage and that’s not really realistic! It’s possible that I could do something acoustic or a 3-piece, but at the moment to get it to reflect the album, or sound anything like it does on the album, would be a tall order.

Do you have any big ambitions for 2017?
We’ve got an EP which I’ve been working on under a different name – Seven 2 Five – which is effectively the same people who are behind ‘The Permanent Smilers’ but we also have Claire Hirst working on that, who was David Bowie’s saxophonist, so we’re really lucky to get her on board, and appreciated that. In regards to 2017 I think I’ll be starting on another album which I’m looking forward to. I always like recording and writing!

And finally would you ever consider recording a Christmas song and what’s your favourite pop festive song?
I’d always consider it. I have written something, but whether it’s actually available at the moment or in the pipeline, but there’s a song called ‘Mojo’, which I wrote, that’s a Christmas song which may or may not be about this year. In terms of what I listen to I really like ‘Stop the Cavalry’ – that’s my favourite Christmas song by quite some way.

Find out more about the Permanent Smilers on Facebook. We have a copy of their debut album which we'll be reviewing soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment